Kentucky Insurance License Classes Online
Kentucky Life and Health Pre-licensing
Kentucky Life Pre-licensing
Kentucky Health Pre-licensing
Kentucky Property and Casualty Pre-licensing
O registrarse para cursos de Español
Kentucky State Insurance Licensing Requirements
HOW TO OBTAIN A KENTUCKY INSURANCE PRODUCER LICENSE
Complete the prelicensing course.
- Life Only – 20 hours
- Accident & Health Only – 20 hours
- Life, Accident and Health – 40 hours
- Casualty Insurance – 20 hours
- Property Insurance – 20 hours
- Property and Casualty – 40 hours
- Personal lines – 20 hours
- This is a forced progression (locked) state that requires the student to review each lesson and pass each of the chapter quiz before moving onto the next section/chapter.
- Assessments on key topics throughout the course and must be successfully passed with a minimum score of 70% before moving onto the next chapter.
- Mandatory final exam
To eligible for a Certificate of completion, you must follow several steps:
- Completion of the course including final exam.
- Course completion rosters will be reported to the Kentucky Department of Insurance daily.
- Download and Print certificate through the “Transcript” tile on the user dashboard.
- Certificates are valid for 12 months.
- Certificates must be uploaded, faxed, or emailed to the KY DOI.
- Upload to KY DOI – https://insurance.ky.gov/doieservices/userrole.aspx
- Fax # – 502-564-6030
- Email – DOI.LicensingMail@ky.gov
Obtain Copy of Background Check
- The state of Kentucky requires a background check. Apply for a criminal background report online through the KY Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) http://kycourts.gov.
- The report is valid for 60 days.
- Background Report Fee: $25.00
Apply for license
- Submit online license application electronically through NIPR www.nipr.com
- You Must allow up to 5 business days for DOI staff to review and process the application, background check and prelicensing certification.
- Application fee $40.00
Schedule the Kentucky State examination.
- Licensing exams are provided by the Kentucky Department of Insurance. After you have received notification that your application has been processed, schedule your examination online by setting up an eServices account at https://insurance.ky.gov/doieservices/userrole.aspx
- Single Line exam fee $50
- Education Roster not required to schedule the exam.
Limitation on repeat examinations:
- You can test an unlimited number of times within a 120-day timeline.
Pass your state exam
- Take advantage of the cram courses (Prep Review and Exam Simulator) within your prelicensing course up until test day.
- Prep Review Course: This part of the training features content “boiled down to the essence” of the state exam. Chapters have only a few pages of material, but the content must be mastered to pass. Instructionally designed to teach individuals how to pass, most study effort should be invested here. Chapter exams are substantially larger (50+ questions), providing exposure to the types of questions seen on the state exam.
- Exam Simulator: These special exams are designed to gauge content retention levels. Important: Only take the Exam Simulators after the Prep Review Course has been successfully completed. It ensures these questions will be “fresh in the mind”.
- On the day of testing, you must present a valid government issued photo id and the certificate(s) of completion.
Kentucky Exam Outlines
|Introduction to Life Insurance||2||4%||0%|
|The Need for Life Insurance||2||4%||0%|
|Permanent Life Insurance||3||6%||0%|
|Term Life Insurance and Other Plans||2||4%||0%|
|Nonforfeiture and Settlement Options||3||6%||0%|
|Group Life Insurance||2||4%||0%|
|Tax Treatment of Life Insurance||2||4%||0%|
|Life Insurance Companies||2||4%||0%|
|Legal and Professional Aspects||2||4%||0%|
|Health Insurance – General|
|Types of Health Insurance Policies||4||0%||8%|
|Disability Income Insurance||4||0%||8%|
|Medical Expense Insurance||4||0%||8%|
|Health Insurance Providers||4||0%||8%|
|Common Provisions and Features||4||0%||8%|
|Required Uniform Policy Provisions||3||0%||6%|
|Optional Uniform Policy Provisions||3||0%||6%|
|The Application and Underwriting||4||0%||8%|
|Group Health Insurance||4||0%||8%|
|Special Types of Health Policies||3||0%||6%|
|Long-Term Care (LTC) Insurance||3||0%||6%|
|Social Health Insurance||4||0%||8%|
|Health Insurance and Taxation||2||0%||4%|
|KY Laws Rules and Regulations|
|II. Kentucky Insurance Laws and Regulations||3||4||3||4|
|Total for all parts|
|Total Scored Questions on Exam||50||50||50||50|
|Maximum Time allowed to complete exam in minutes||60||60||60||60|
|Minimum Correct for Passing Score||70||70||70||70|
|DESCRIPTION||Question Count||% of Exam Questions|
|Casualty||Property||Personal Lines||Casualty||Property||Personal Lines|
|Casualty Insurance – General|
|Principles of Insurance||4||4||8%||0%||8%|
|The Insurance Contract||4||3||8%||0%||6%|
|Insurance Company Organization and Regulation||1||1||2%||0%||2%|
|The Insurance Transaction||4||4||8%||0%||8%|
|Introduction to Liability Insurance||4||3||8%||0%||6%|
|Personal Auto Insurance||5||10%||0%||0%|
|Miscellaneous Personal Insurance||2||4%||0%||0%|
|The Commercial Package Policy||2||4%||0%||0%|
|The Businessowners Policy||2||4%||0%||0%|
|Commercial General Liability Insurance||4||8%||0%||0%|
|Commercial Auto Insurance||2||4%||0%||0%|
|Commercial Crime Insurance||1||2%||0%||0%|
|Miscellaneous Commercial Insurance||3||6%||0%||0%|
|Property Insurance – General|
|Principles of Insurances||3||0%||6%||0%|
|The Insurance Contract||3||0%||6%||0%|
|Insurance Company Organization and Regulation||1||0%||2%||0%|
|he Insurance Transaction||3||0%||6%||0%|
|Introduction to Property Insurance||4||3||0%||8%||6%|
|Personal Auto Insurance||3||9||0%||6%||18%|
|Miscellaneous Personal Insurance||4||0%||8%||0%|
|The Commercial Package Policy||3||0%||6%||0%|
|The Businessowners Policy||3||0%||6%||0%|
|Commercial Property Insurance||3||0%||6%||0%|
|Ocean and Inland Marine Insurance||2||0%||4%||0%|
|Commercial Crime Insurance||3||0%||6%||0%|
|Miscellaneous Commercial Insurance||4||6||0%||8%||12%|
|KY Laws Rules and Regulations|
|II. Kentucky Insurance Laws and Regulations||5||4||4||5||4||4|
|Total for all parts|
|Total Scored Questions on Exam||50||50||50||50||50||50|
|Maximum Time allowed to complete exam in minutes||60||60||60||60||60||60|
|Minimum Correct for Passing Score||70||70||70||70||70||70|
Producer Licensing Checklist:
|1. Complete prelicensing course|
|2. Obtain Background Check|
|3. Apply for License|
|4. Register for State Exam|
Name: Kentucky Department of Insurance
Website: http:// insurance.ky.gov
Address: 500 Mero Street Frankfort, KY 40601
Working as an Insurance Agent
Property and Casualty Insurance Agents
What can you expect working as an agent? Property and casualty insurance agents work with clients to help secure policies that protect people and businesses from financial loss.
For individuals many of these events include automobile accidents, fire, theft. For businesses these events can include the same as individuals but can also include workers’ compensation claims, product liability claims, or medical malpractice claims.
Life Insurance Agents
What can you expect from working as an Insurance agent? Life insurance agents work with clients to help secure policies that pay beneficiaries when a policyholder passes away. Life insurance agents also can help people prepare for retirement by offering certain types of annuities.
Health and long-term care insurance agents work with clients to help secure policies that cover the costs of medical care and assisted-living services. They also can help clients secure dental insurance and disability insurance.
Why Students Choose XCEL
XCEL is the nation’s online insurance education industry leader. We provide you with all the tools and study material you will need to pass the state exam the first time. We understand how people learn and incorporate every detail of our knowledge to help you succeed.
of Study Options
XCEL offers a unique three-step training program instructionally designed to prepare you to pass the first time.
XCEL is the nation’s most trusted provider of test-prep solutions for insurance industry licensing exams. Our courses are built around questions similar to those seen on the exams.
Don’t Delay, Start Today!
View insurance courses below to find out what pre-licensing courses are required for your state.