West Virginia Insurance License Classes Online
West Virginia Life and Health Pre-licensing
West Virginia Life Pre-licensing
West Virginia Health Pre-licensing
West Virginia Property and Casualty Pre-licensing
West Virginia Casualty Pre-licensing
West Virginia Property Pre-licensing
O registrarse para cursos de Español
West Virginia State Insurance Licensing Requirements
HOW TO OBTAIN A WEST VIRGINIA INSURANCE PRODUCER LICENSE
Complete the prelicensing course.
- Life Only – 20 hours
- Accident and Health – 20 hours
- Life, Accident and Health – 40 hours
- Casualty Insurance – 20 hours
- Property Insurance – 20 hours
- Property and Casualty – 40 hours
- Personal lines – 20 hours
- This is a forced progression (locked) state that requires the student to review each lesson and pass each of the chapter quiz before moving onto the next section/chapter.
- Assessments on key topics throughout the course and must be successfully passed with a minimum score of 70% before moving onto the next chapter.
- The final examination must be monitored by a proctor. A proctor is defined as, “a disinterested third party with no conflict of interest who verifies the student’s identity and processes an affidavit testifying that the student has received no outside assistance with the course or examination.”
- The final examination will be unlocked when the proctor confirms your identity via electronic means.
- Your will not be able to review the course content once the final examination has begun.
- The final examination must be completed with a score of at least 70% before the certificate is issued.
- When the final examination is completed, you and the proctor will be required to complete the affidavit.
To be eligible for a Certificate of completion, you must follow several steps:
- Completion of the course and Final Exam with a minimum score of 70%
- Download and Print certificate through the “Transcript” tile on the user dashboard.
- Certificates are valid for 4 months.
**PLEASE NOTE: The certificate expiry date has been extended from four months to six months until further notice due to COVID-19.
Schedule the West Virginia State examination.
- Registration must be completed online on Pearson Vue website: www.pearsonvue.com/wv/insurance
- Single line exam fee: $86
- Combination exam fee: $86 (Property and Casualty exam only)
Limitation on repeat examinations:
- There are no limitations on retaking the exam.
Pass your state exam
- Take advantage of the cram courses (Prep Review and Exam Simulator) within your prelicensing course during the waiting period.
- Valid certificate of completion
- The state of West Virginia requires fingerprinting.
- Schedule an appointment online though Identgo www.identgo.com
- Obtain a receipt from the center containing the 12-digit TCN number specific to your fingerprints. (Required for the license application)
- Fingerprint Fee: $45.75
Apply for license
- Submit license application electronically through NIPR www.nipr.com
- Include the TCN 12-digit number
- Application fee – $50
- Valid for 60 days
- NIPR does not verify exams prior to allowing submission of an application
|DESCRIPTION||Question Count||% of Exam
|Types of Policies and Features||12||0||15%||0%|
|Policy Riders, Provisions, Options, and Exclusions||18||0||23%||0%|
|Completing the Application, Underwriting, and Delivering the Policies||12||0||15%||0%|
|Taxes, Retirement, and Other Insurance Concepts||8||0||10%||0%|
|Types of Policies||0||14||0%||18%|
|Policy Provisions, Clauses, and Riders||0||20||0%||25%|
|Other Insurance Concepts||0||4||0%||5%|
|Field Underwriting Procedures||0||9||0%||11%|
|West Virginia Laws and Rules|
|West Virginia Statutes, Rules and Regulations Common to Life, Accident and Sickness Insurance||21||21||27%||26%|
|West Virginia Statutes, Rules and Regulations Pertinent to Life Insurance||7||0||9%||0%|
|West Virginia Statutes, Rules and Regulations Pertinent to Sickness and Accident Insurance||0||9||0%||11%|
|Total for all parts|
|Total Scored Questions on Exam||78||80|
|Maximum Time allowed to complete exam in minutes||120||120||120||120|
|DESCRIPTION||Question Count||% of Exam Questions|
|Types of Policies, Bonds, and Related Terms||25||0||25||31%||0%||18%|
|Insurance Terms and Related Concepts||14||0||14||18%||0%||10%|
|Types of Property Policies||0||25||25||0%||31%||18%|
|Insurance Terms and Related Concepts||0||14||14||0%||18%||10%|
|Policy Provisions and Contract Law||0||11||11||0%||14%||8%|
|West Virginia Laws and Rules|
|West Virginia Laws and Rules Pertinent to Casualty Insurance||30||0||0||38%||0%||0%|
|West Virginia Laws and Rules Pertinent to Property Insurance||0||30||0||0%||38%||0%|
|West Virginia Laws and Rules Pertinent to Property and
|Total for all parts|
|Total Scored Questions on Exam||80||80||140|
|Maximum Time allowed to complete exam in minutes||120||120||210||120||120||120|
Producer Licensing Checklist:
|1. Complete prelicensing course|
|2. Register for exam|
|3. Pass exam|
|4. Schedule appointment and get Fingerprinted|
|5. Apply for License|
Name: State of West Virginia Office of the Insurance Commissioner Licensing and Education
Address: PO Box 50541 Charleston, WV 25305-0541
Working as an Insurance Agent
Property and Casualty Insurance Agents
What can you expect working as an agent? Property and casualty insurance agents work with clients to help secure policies that protect people and businesses from financial loss.
For individuals many of these events include automobile accidents, fire, theft. For businesses these events can include the same as individuals but can also include workers’ compensation claims, product liability claims, or medical malpractice claims.
Life Insurance Agents
What can you expect from working as an Insurance agent? Life insurance agents work with clients to help secure policies that pay beneficiaries when a policyholder passes away. Life insurance agents also can help people prepare for retirement by offering certain types of annuities.
Health and long-term care insurance agents work with clients to help secure policies that cover the costs of medical care and assisted-living services. They also can help clients secure dental insurance and disability insurance.
Why Students Choose XCEL
XCEL is the nation’s online insurance education industry leader. We provide you with all the tools and study material you will need to pass the state exam the first time. We understand how people learn and incorporate every detail of our knowledge to help you succeed.
of Study Options
XCEL offers a unique three-step training program instructionally designed to prepare you to pass the first time.
XCEL is the nation’s most trusted provider of test-prep solutions for insurance industry licensing exams. Our courses are built around questions similar to those seen on the exams.
Don’t Delay, Start Today!
View insurance courses below to find out what pre-licensing courses are required for your state.