Vermont Insurance Continuing Education

Looking for Vermont insurance continuing education classes? XCEL has you covered!

VT 24-Hour Life and Health Continuing Education Package (Initial)


VT 24-Hour Property and Casualty Continuing Education Package (Initial)


Choose XCEL –
Your Career Partner

When it comes to completing your CE requirements, we understand that there are several factors that can make it a challenge.

With XCEL, you can expect a career-spanning partnership that promises vast study resources, support and insights from selected industry experts.

All Your CE Needs

At XCEL, you can shop for all your CE and compliance need in one place.

Easy To Order

Choose from popular CE packages, or build one that works best for you.


We aim to keep our pricing competitive to allow everybody to have access.

Vermont CE Regulatory Requirements

Vermont Insurance License Renewal and Compliance Requirements

XCEL Solutions provides this information as a courtesy to licensees subject to insurance continuing education requirements. Although every effort is made to maintain the accuracy of this course, recent changes in laws and procedures may not yet be reflected in the content. All information is subject to change without notice.

License Renewal Timelines

Agents holding a Major Lines license (Property, Casualty, Personal Lines, Accident & Health, Life or Variable Products) are required to renew their license by the last day of March odd year every two years.
  • On-going renewal periods are March 31st of odd years and every two (2) years thereafter before March 31st of the next odd year.
Continuing education requirements must be met before submitting the license renewal application.

Complete Required Continuing Education

Requirements per License

Licensees renewing a Property, Casualty, Personal Lines, Accident & Health, Life or Variable Products license are required to complete 24 hours of approved continuing education, 3 of which must be approved as ethics, before submitting their renewal application.

Specific Product Training Requirements

The Vermont Department of Insurance requires specific training requirements for individual agents selling, soliciting, or negotiating Long-Term Care products (LTC) and Flood Insurance products (NFIP). Failing to complete the required training may jeopardize the agent’s authority to sell the related insurance products.

Long-term Care Training Requirements

  • Life or Accident & Health licensees must complete an approved 8-hour Long-term Care course before selling, soliciting, or negotiating long-term care insurance.
  • Agents must also complete an approved 4-hour LTC refresher course every renewal period to continue selling, soliciting, or negotiating long-term care insurance.
  • The initial and refresher LTC course credits count towards the agent's 24-hour CE requirement.
  • Resident agents may complete these training requirements in any state provided the department has approved the course for long-term care credit prior to the agent taking the course.
  • Non-resident agents may complete these training requirements in any state.

Flood Insurance (NFIP) Training Requirements

  • Property and Casualty or Personal Lines licensees must complete an approved one-time 3-hour National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) course by the end of their first renewal period if they plan to sell, solicit, or negotiate Flood insurance.
  • The National Flood Insurance Program course credits count towards the agent's 24-hour CE requirement.

Course requirements

  • Licensees can use independent self-study courses to fill all requirements.
  • Licensees may take courses in any line of authority.
  • Self-study exams are closed book and require a monitor/proctor.
    • Waived due to Covid until further notice.
  • Duplicate courses completed in the same renewal period are not allowed and cannot be carried over to future renewal cycles.
  • Excess credit hours earned in the previous biennial renewal period cannot be carried over to the next reporting period. Any excess is lost.

Reporting to your state

  • Students must provide their National Producer Number (NPN) to report on course completion.
  • $1.60 per credit hour is required to report course completions to your state.
  • Course completions are reported within one business day.

Renew Your License

Resident and nonresident license renewal applications are processed through NIPR. A $30 renewal fee is required. Agents with a continuing education requirement must obtain all required credits prior to their license expiration date. An agent will not be eligible to renew their insurance license(s) until they have satisfied their continuing education requirement.

Helpful Resources

Find your Vermont insurance license number View your CE transcript Renew your license. Vermont Department of Insurance - Licensing Division

Ready to get started?

Browse Insurance CE Courses Now

Learn more

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.